[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:09:02 -0700

Hi Matt,

Matt Madia wrote:
>> The Editor role is exactly for that purpose; so if you want to give
>> someone the ability to such edit pages, just assign him/her the Editor
>> role, and you got what you wanted. :)
>>

> IMO, we should have several types of editors with varying levels of power.
>
> As a loose example (note loose as in "possible" -- my brain's a bit
> fried at the moment, so just consider the concept instead of the
> details)  :
>
> -Blog pages should only be editable by high-level editors.  My
> rationale is that to an normal web visitor, the content appears to be
> from the author -- as opposed to someone who edited the page. Haiku
> Inc.'s contact information. would be another example.

Editing content does not alter the author information, unless you change
it deliberately.

> -There should probably be an intermediate-level... possibly to reduce
> access to API documentation, event calendars, and other similar
> information that typically won't change frequently.
>
> -low-level would include the howto guides, content specifically
> created on the Druki , etc
>
> -Current editors are grandfathered in to high-level editors.   All new
> editors start as low-level.  After they've somehow displayed their
> trustworthiness, they can request to additional editing levels.

Ah, more bureaucracy, eh? Just kidding. :P

Upon quick inspection, permission settings seemed to have changed from
what they originally used to be; I don't know if this was by accident
(during the D5 upgrade?) or by design, but anyway here are the user
roles and permissions as originally thought out.

Anonymous user:

    - Access content only

Authenticated user = Anonymous user plus:

    - Create conference, doc for user, doc for devs, news post and RFCs
(all submissions moderated)
    - Edit own content (of above-mentioned types)
    - Post comments

Blogger = Authenticated user plus:

    - Create blog posts
    - Edit own blog posts

Editor = Authenticated user plus:

    - Edit all content types

Dev = Blogger plus:

    - Create & edit all content types

Admin = Dev plus:

    - All system notifications (mainly to keep an eye on spam accounts)

Superadmin (user 1):

    - Full permissions

So, would adding a Moderator role as an almighty editor to the above
meet your needs?

BTW, I also noticed that there is a new (at least to me) "Event Admin"
role apparently created for the only purpose of allows submitting
latitude/longitude info; if that's the only purpose of this role (which
is what it looks like), then it is totally unnecessary, as submitting
latitude/longitude is not necessary (the system figures it out from the
address).

Cheers,

Jorge