[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:06:59 -0700

Ok, since we're delving deeper into the "what if" realm now, I think
it's going to be less about vision of what could be done, and more
about proving there's a need currently... I sorta feel like I'm gonna
get stomped on at this point, and thus any further opinions from me
are likely going to fall upon deaf ears :(

I suspect my following email isn't well written - several emails on
this topic that I've written in the last couple days haven't even made
it past draft - and I nearly deleted this one as well... but I guess I
just really wanted my opinions to be considered, even if it doesn't
change anything, at least so that people involved are continually
thinking about how they can draw in more assistance, rather than place
the website and resources on a pedestal and require people prove that
they deserve access to contribute content or help out. It's a turn-off
when people have to ask for permission, they like being given
permission. Empowering people generally inspires them.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Right now, if people don't do more in adding or maintaining website
> content, for the most part it is because they don't have the time or
> motivation (or both). I would love to be proven wrong, though. :)

That's probably true among those who actually have the access now -
I've noticed that :)

For example, I've seen several people come into #haiku, claim that
they've written a step-by-step guide on how to do something that
wasn't already documented, and then tend to disappear before it gets
published anywhere. Sometimes they ask where to post it, sometimes
they say they're posting it on their blog (or provide links to it)

It would of course be extremely difficult to prove anything without
trying something different, however...so if the decision is that
nothing should change because there's no perceived benefit, then I'm
afraid I'll just have to be content with that.

As for the point about content types - I have to ask: Why are there so
many content types, why would each of them need separate security
rights? Can't we categorize them by purpose and assign roles to those
purposes?

I could see for example, we separate areas of the site into the areas
people look for: Blogs, Events/Calendar, FAQ/About, Forums/Support,
Security/Administration, Screenshots/Image Galleries, Development
Resources, Community Links (for stuff like the movies page, links to
other sites, etc). and assign content types and related security roles
to these areas. Perhaps that's overkill, but I don't think it's
unmanageable.

Obviously, we could keep the site-wide roles like Admin, Editor, etc.
if we want, but having the finer grained administrative roles
available and assigned to a larger range of people could offload some
of the website maintenance, and allow various areas of the website
content to grow and be maintained.

As you suggest, if the end result is that maybe 3-5 people are even
interested, perhaps it's pointless... but without advertising such a
possible system to the general community, how will we know how many
are interested? If we believe that everyone who is interested in
working on the website and its content is currently subscribed to this
list, I think we're lying to ourselves ;)

- Urias