[haiku-web] Re: Community Documentation Collaboration (Was: Add Comunity Project)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:26:13 -0700

Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Urias McCullough
> <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This is the very type of issue I would hope we could mitigate, even if
>> we can't eliminate it, rather than having someone post an entire
>> guide, I would prefer if they updated one of the guides already on
>> haiku-os.org and then posted links to it.
>>

> Replying to myself...
>
> Until there is a central location where anyone can contribute, and
> they get full attribution for their contributions (as opposed to
> editing an article with someone else's name as the "author") - I
> suspect this problem won't get any better.

As we discussed on IRC, it would be difficult to change the existing
documentation to what you describe here.

If you want to do this, leave what's there as is, and create a separate
realm for documentation with the new wiki-like process and rules.

> This is what makes wikipedia work. People can write large amounts of
> documentation and feel good about it - *anyone* can see their efforts
> in the history, or even query what a given user has contributed.
>
> This is also how source control works - you can very easily see
> everyone who has touched a given file, and you can find out every file
> that someone has touched.
>
> This is what makes it work guys, you can tell me I'm wrong, but I know
> because it's how I feel about myself.

I don't think there is right or wrong. But from my personal experience,
I would not expect any drastic increase in contributions and/or
participation. But I've been wrong in the past, so I would be wrong
again. :)

Cheers,

Jorge