[haiku-inc] Re: Updating the donat-o-meter...

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:40:22 -0400

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM, luroh <lurohh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Fact is,
> > they have worked in the past and continue to do so.
>
> That seems to be more of a disputed claim than an established fact.

Again, refer to Haiku Inc's homepage. If it's the case, that the bounties
accomplished nothing, have that supportive statement removed.

> > Major corporations and
> > organizations also use bounties.
>
> To me, the few meager bounties up on Bountysource are not evidence of
> 'multi-billon dollar companies using bounties because it's cheap and
> it works'. They are not corporate accounts, they are teams anyone can
> create or join. For example, the IBM "team" is just a single GCC
> maintainer working for IBM. For all we know, the Facebook team could
> just be a bunch of people who work at Facebook, posting bounties for
> their personal pet projects, with or without company funding.

Maybe you just have trouble reading, or understanding. Sure, anyone can
post a bounty. The 'backers' is where the money comes from. In the case you
talk about IBM. FYI, a seconded bounty was awarded to an individual and
$1600 has been paid out. Haiku supposedly links trac tickets to
bountysource, but they mean nothing if there's no backer.

Sun, Mozilla, Ghoscript, etc. use code bounties

   - Sun MicroSystems (now owned by Oracle Corporation) has offered $1
   million in bounties for OpenSolaris, NetBeans, OpenSPARC, Project
   GlassFish, OpenOffice.org, and OpenJDK.[4]
   - Mozilla introduced a Security Bug Bounty Program, offering $500 to
   anyone who finds a "critical" security bug in Mozilla.[5]
   - Artifex Software offers[6] up to $1000 to anyone who fixes some of the
   issues posted on Ghostscript Bugzilla.

> > My thoughts are just that Haiku Inc. could
> > budget money and create bounties instead of doing nothing, just to see
> what
> > happens. It doesn't cost anyone anything to post a couple of bounties; if
> > someone applies and finishes one, bonus. If not, no loss to Haiku.
>
> Besides a 10% withdrawal fee, the cost would be the work needed to set
> the goal and scope, guide and help any presumptive developers with the
> Haiku code base, judge the work, vet and commit the code. In my
> opinion, that's something Haiku Inc. should continue to stay out of.

What 10% withdrawal fee? I've never said that Haiku Inc. should judge code
or provide mentors for bounties, even though it's something they do for
GSOC.

I am not going to pursue this issue anymore. It's clear that there's some
change needed and Haiku Inc's board needs a rotation so that a group of
fresh leaders with new ideas can make logical & worthwhile decisions for
the community.

Having people say that the bounties were useless even developers that took
on some of the bounties feels like a slap in a face. The over $25,000 that
went to developers certainly didn't benefit me, and say what you will,
money is a motivating factor.

Since Axel Dörfler was so vocal that the bounties accomplished nothing,
then perhaps he should be honourable and put his money where his mouth is -
donate the proceeds to Haiku Inc.

--
Karl vom Dorff
BScH Biology (German Minor)