[haiku-inc] Re: Updating the donat-o-meter...

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:20:06 -0400

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well the fact is, Haiku Inc. is sitting on ~$25,000 right now.

Actually right now we only have about $10,000 in the bank, PayPal and
Amazon Payments. There may be few more bucks in other accounts but not
a huge amount. I'll try to do a Q3 2014 financial report so we can get
exact numbers. Keeping Adrien paid and paying out other contracts has
consumed quite a lot of money this year (which is as it should be.)

> More could be
> done. If I had it my way, I'd open four bounties for $5000 (each based on
> single GSOC projects that were not completed, or not taken). Even contract
> work; as it is now, the money just sits there. I would bet anyone on this
> list $500 (and contribute it to Haiku Inc.) that at least one project would
> be applied for within 6 months if they were posted to Haiku's front page.

I probably would not take that bet, but mainly because part of the
attraction of a bounty besides the money is a specific goal. I know
I'm always more motivated by a specific goal. Even my current work on
financial stuff is a lot more motivating because I have a goal and I
see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Once you start talking about work I could do on Haiku itself, I start
to feel lost. There just feels like there is so much to do, so many
bugs to tackle, etc.

Maybe a good place to start would be defining some specific projects
people could do and then letting Bountysource provide the funds

> Nobody even knew there was an extra $10,000 in the pot for half a year.
> Haiku just gets older and more irrelevant, but Haiku Inc. could do more to
> expedite development. Sorry, that's just how I see it.

You are right I think. Again this all goes back to us trying to
improve how Haiku, Inc works and refreshing the board as we have
discussed earlier.

--
Regards,
Ryan