[haiku-inc] Re: Updating the donat-o-meter...

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:54:47 +0200

Am 28.09.2014 20:14, schrieb Karl vom Dorff:
Ingo's argument is a poor one. Of course the bounties were a motivating
factor.

Having done a bounty myself, I can only say that:
a) I wouldn't do it again
b) it was just some additional incentive on work I would have done anyway
c) it cannot possibly feed you, which makes it a 100% spare time job
d) it prevents collaboration

I've also worked several times for Haiku Inc. on a contract basis, and I would definitely do that again if my job/financial situation would allow it:
a) you have some fixed income you can plan with
b) I'm actually paid for my work, not just for completed milestones; with such a bit of money involved, the risk makes a huge difference, also wrt the motivation.
c) Even partially completed work benefits Haiku.

In the case of my bounty project, I ran out of time, and tried to make it work - that's stressful and unrewarding, and eventually led me to abandon work on that thing altogether.
mmlr later debugged my work, and applied the one-liner that made it work.

Bye,
   Axel.