[haiku-inc] Re: Updating the donat-o-meter...

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:19:58 +0200

On 28.09.2014 01:57, Karl vom Dorff wrote:
    Well, I don't believe I've ever seen a front page post at Haiku's
    website saying something to the effect of "Haiku Inc. has allocated
    $2500 (or x $) for funding contract work concerning Haiku OS. We
    have a list of blockers or areas we would like to see worked on, but
    welcome any proposals". Of course I have seen GSOC posts and the
    like. I know it's probably hard to judge if 'x, y or z' developer
    has enough experience to actually to do what he says he can do; but
    there's always that chance. I've had the feeling that these types of
    contracts were always more internally reserved. I hate to bring this
    up, but a good example is the Wifi Stack that Colin did for
    Haikuware's bounties. He was basically unknown to the community, and
    lived up to his word. Now, he's even developing the DVB-T tuner
    application and drivers in his spare time. So... isn't that worth a try?

replying to my own post, or Oliver Dorantes for the bluetooth stack or
Michael Pfeiffer with Gutenprint. I don't mean to say bounties worked in
all cases, but they did deliver on some occasions.

IIRC, Colin first started Haiku work as part of his bachelor or master thesis and the bounty was probably just some "cream on top". Michael Pfeiffer had been a long term contributor (BePDF, printing support) long before working on Gutenprint. And I believe Oliver Ruiz Dorantes had been working on Bluetooth prior to the bounty.

For me it is entirely unclear what effect the bounties actually had. Yes, the tasks were completed, but wouldn't they have been without the bounties? Were the bounties an important motivator or just some nice but unnecessary bonus?

Unless the respective developers have confirmed that without the bounty they wouldn't have taken on and completed the task, I will continue to assume that the bounties haven't delivered anything.

Perhaps Haiku Inc.
can just put a target and price on some things that are still needed for
the OS (and they don't have to call them bounties), maybe there are
takers. Money talks. Although, I remember having this discussion before,
and Haiku Inc,'s contracts were always open-ended - that bothered me.
Either they can complete the job for x$ or not.

It may be hard to believe, but the effort for some software development tasks is very hard to estimate. If the risk is all on the developer's side and, if the money is pitiful for western standards, that is a very low motivation for accepting such a job.

CU, Ingo