[haiku-development] Re: UI discussion (was "WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab")

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:12:53 +0000

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We worked around that in most cases. The official build is a gcc2 hybrid, so
> it also bundles a gcc4 compiler with libraries. The Mesa we bundle for gcc4
> is up to date, and if you build an app using gcc4, it will work.

But that only applies to the gcc4 build, right? Not the gcc2 or even
gcc2h builds?

> The VBox additions require your deskbar to be compiled with gcc4 because it
> comes with a Deskbar replicant. There are ways around that, for example
> compiling the code from virtual box that requires gcc4 in a vbox_server, and
> have the replicant (built with gcc2) talk to it through BMessages. Or make
> the vbox stuff be kernel side, and have the replicant send ioctls to it.
> There are some other ways.

I guess my point was that while I know we can use such workarounds,
they are extra hassle. If/when we can ditch gcc 2.x, it completely
removes the need for all these distinctions and hybrids and juggling
etc.

Even if R2 did retain backward compatibility as a gcc4h build as the
official one, it would be secondary, not the primary concern as it is
now.

Right now these things can't be a part of the official builds because
the official builds have to be gcc2 primarily, with secondary support
for gcc4. Or developers don't really pursue things as much as they
might because of this... feeling it's not worth the trouble to jump
through all the hoops to try to remain compatible with gcc2, or to
have their work excluded from the official builds.

--
猿も木から落ちる