[haiku-development] Re: UI discussion (was "WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab")

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:00:03 +0100

On 2013-02-27 at 00:41:40 [+0100], Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To summaries, would propose a common dev branch that is kind of moderated,
> > (via a this mailing list). Or to say it in a nerdy way: we have to remove
> > the global R1 development lock to release all the waiting developers! ;-)
>
> There are other changes as well being held up by this... for example
> going to gcc4 as the official build platform, which would enable ports
> of the latest MESA etc for hardware 3d acceleration, or things like
> easier ports of the VirtualBox guest additions, and I'm sure many
> other things.
>
> There is a fair amount of extra work and restrictions to which code
> can be used due to the official build currently requiring gcc 2.x.
>
> (I'm certainly not a serious programmer, so this is my limited
> understanding of the issue.)

We worked around that in most cases. The official build is a gcc2 hybrid, so
it also bundles a gcc4 compiler with libraries. The Mesa we bundle for gcc4
is up to date, and if you build an app using gcc4, it will work.

The VBox additions require your deskbar to be compiled with gcc4 because it
comes with a Deskbar replicant. There are ways around that, for example
compiling the code from virtual box that requires gcc4 in a vbox_server, and
have the replicant (built with gcc2) talk to it through BMessages. Or make
the vbox stuff be kernel side, and have the replicant send ioctls to it.
There are some other ways.

--
Adrien.