[haiku-development] Re: UI discussion (was "WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab")

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:32:33 +1300

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:33:59 +1300, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 26, 2013 6:14 PM, "Clemens" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To summaries, would propose a common dev branch that is kind of
moderated, (via a this mailing list). Or to say it in a nerdy way: we have
to remove the global R1 development lock to release all the waiting
developers! ;-)

What exactly prevents you from doing that in a github branch already?

to stay with the session manager example, there is a branch for it on github and I even advertised it in a blog post. However, there was no feedback for it and to be honest I haven't expected any. A branch is IMHO to private that somebody without a deeper interest will look into it or even test it. Developing a post R1 task is not much fun if you doing it solely on your own branch. Its just not very motivating and after a while your code starts rotting on github.

When I joined the project it was normal that new features where developed in parallel. While testing your own code you were seeing other features developing or in the worst case crashing your system. I found that very motivating, both to see new features and hunting the bug that causes the new crash! While in theory you could merge all feature branches into your working branch, in practice nobody would do that for various reasons...

Branches are great for initial changes or changes that deliberately break the system. For example, the app_server composite branch. However, when it gets to a workable state I would love to try it and find the bugs, and that much more likely if its already in an official development branch.

Regards,
        Clemens