[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:40:57 -0700

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You're kidding right? You realize that Gnome 3 (and by extension
>> Unity) have created a massive rift in the Linux desktop world... is it
>> progress if people hate it and refuse to use it?
>
> Gnome 3 and Unity changed things, people don't like change. In the
> commercial world that is tough cookies, but with Linux if enough
> people don't like the change they can fork the old thing, that's what
> Cinnamon and Mate are. Just because some are resistant to progress
> doesn't mean that the changes are bad, though it does mean that Linux
> will always be a fragmented mess. Hopefully Haiku can transcend that
> trend and stay unified as we progress.

FWIW, I ended up at a Gnome 3 desktop last night (after installing the
latest Debian), and noticed that the apps are definitely still
categorized - with an option to view them "all". The flat view was
quite irritating, but fortunately there's a Gnome Classic now (that's
how badly it went for them - they added back a classic mode to keep
people from forking).

In any case, I removed it promptly again :)

- Urias