[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:23:17 -0700

> How should the Deskbar menu be organized?
> (*) Automatically, with applications in categories
> ( ) Automatically, with applications in a flat list
> ( ) Not at all, let me organize it
>
> To ease the switching between the first two options, each package
> could create two symlinks, one in an "All" category/folder, and then
> in whatever category/folder the application is in (which could also be
> under a "Categorized" folder.) Then the Deskbar's "view" could quickly
> change between the two options by just looking at whichever top-level
> folder the user wanted (All or Categorized.)
>
> In fact the package manager could always create the symlinks this way
> and the above option really is what the Deskbar "looks at" to create
> the menu. For the last option the Deskbar ignores the package manager
> symlinks and just looks at the user's folder. But the package manager
> symlinks should still be there (with an easy way to find that folder
> in the Deskbar options) so that the user could copy that list as a
> starting point for their custom menu.

So then couldn't all of the symlinks be tossed into one directory, and then
the deskbar could have the option to show all in one list or as categories,
it would generate the menus on the fly based on an attribute of the
symlinks?  The packages could have the suggested category in it's recipe
file.  I think this solution might satisfy most.  Have the Deskbar have an
option to pick one of the three options that Ryan lists here.  Have each
package's symlink have an attribute for the suggested category and maybe a
second one for user's preferred category.  That way switching between the
three options would auto generate the menus for any one of the three
options.  Note that the majority of the packages won't even be in the
Deskbar menu as they consist largely of libraries and command line apps.
For apps and games and such, having the Deskbar be settable like this would
be cool.  Also the case for where the package shouldn't be in the Deskbar,
should be covered as well.

-scottmc