[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 18:39:41 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Chris Peel <chrispeel.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Regarding this:
>
> "99% of user's won't ever want to customize the Deskbar so I wouldn't
> spend too much time on it."
>
> Where does that statistic come from?

I made it up. Okay, maybe categorizing your Deskbar app list is
important to some, but plenty don't care, they just want their
computers to work, they want things to be organized and
understandable. Ingo has limited time, I don't want him wasting it on
something most people don't care about.

> If users aren't interested in customisation, why is there such a market for
> it?  I don't just mean from a GUI perspective - look at the skins and cases
> you can buy for mobile phones.

I am only talking about customization from a GUI perspective.

> Art applications let you draw pictures; photo editing applications let you
> edit photos, and so on.  The Apple App Store, Android Marketplace and so on
> all categorize applications perfectly well.

Except when they don't... you are seriously going to tell me that
Apple and Google have figured out a foolproof categorization system
for apps? I find that notion to be arrogant and ignorant.

> Would you really expect a single 100-item category called "applications"? Of
> course not - stop trying to be different for no good reason.

I'm not trying to be different for no good reason, I'm trying to be
different for very good reason, because the status quo on platforms
that use app categories sucks. What is wrong with a 100 item list? We
have ways of dealing with a 100 item lists: pagination, scrollbars,
and search. Yet there's something very wrong with categories, they're
arbitrary, they're confusing, they make it harder to find your
applications because they put them in places you don't expect.

> Oh, and Terminal goes in Utilities, and Magnify goes in Accessories.  Easy.

Why does Terminal goes in Utilities and Magnify go in Accessories. Why
not the reverse? What is a "accessory" anyway? It's just a word you
decided to use to categorize something that isn't categorizable. What
is a utility exactly? You've arbitrary decided to put these apps in
those group because otherwise it wouldn't fit your model. That's not
good, it's confusing and arbitrary and makes it harder for me and
everyone else to use Haiku, not easier because I looked in Accessories
for Terminal instead of Utilities.

Now all that being said, I don't want to have a big fight about this,
I'm just trying to make my point and I'm just one person with one
opinion. Others will have other opinions and that's fine. Hopefully we
can come up with something that works.