[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:03:32 -0400

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> However, talking to Stippi, he convinced that a simpler, automated approach
> makes a lot more sense. The basic idea is that the Deskbar menu merges an
> auto-generated part -- that is all the entries provided by installed
> packages -- with whatever the user has added manually in
> ~/config/settings/deskbar/menu/. The assumption is that most users will be
> happy with installed applications appearing automatically in their Deskbar
> menu -- particularly when reasonable categories are provided. For puristic
> users a Deskbar setting to disable the auto-generated part could be added.
> It would revert the behavior to the current one.

I'd like to see the package manager simply provide a symlink so that
the application appears in Deskbar's Applications menu. We don't need
to provide an option to turn that off for purists IMHO. The user can
then manipulate the symlink in Tracker to organize the applications
beyond that. I'm not sure what else you're thinking but providing the
package manager with the ability to provide directories like
Utilities, Accessories, Games, etc. is not a good idea IMHO, just
provide a symlink to the application in a flat list.