[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chrispeel.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT)

As an alternative (and it's merely a suggestion) could the application simply
provide hints as to what category it belongs in?  These could be properties
inside the application or some form of metadata included in the package.   More
than one hint could be included if the developer feels the application belongs
in more than one category and, if mime-style names were used, they wouldn't
need localising.  Something like "category/x-application-paint" or
"category/x-application-tool" for example.

This would mean that applications could appear in more than one category which
might appease people.  It could also mean that the actual category names could
be customised by the user without losing applications from that category.

I haven't explained the concept that well so I'm just putting it out there - I
can explain better if anyone is interested.
—
Sent from Mailbox for iPhone