[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:01:11 +0200

Am 20/05/2013 22:28, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
However, talking to Stippi, he convinced that a simpler, automated
approach makes a lot more sense. The basic idea is that the Deskbar menu
merges an auto-generated part -- that is all the entries provided by
installed packages -- with whatever the user has added manually in
~/config/settings/deskbar/menu/. The assumption is that most users will
be happy with installed applications appearing automatically in their
Deskbar menu -- particularly when reasonable categories are provided.
For puristic users a Deskbar setting to disable the auto-generated part
could be added. It would revert the behavior to the current one.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd like merging the auto-generated one with the one from the Deskbar, and I would also like the option to turn that off in which case the user can copy the links manually (ie. they should be in a well defined location on (virtual) disk).

This would allow all the freedom. I'd also put them into categories automatically. If the user doesn't like it, he would need to turn off the automatic merging, and does it all himself. If the need arise, we could even flatten the list via a Deskbar option.

Letting Deskbar hide broken links sound like a nice idea, too. They would still be visible when you edit the menu in Tracker, of course, so you can remove or fix them if you'd like.

Bye,
   Axel.