[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:29:51 +0200

On 05/20/2013 11:52 PM, Matt Madia wrote:

On May 20, 2013 5:45 PM, "Jessica Hamilton"
<jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
 > Since the packagefs is read-only (thanks for the clarification,
Ingo), I agree with John of just putting a symlink in like apps already
do. People can re-organise how they like.

That's the thing. With the symlink existing within the package, an user
based organization will not persist across reboots. Think of it like
modifying something from within a LiveCD boot.

Regarding implementing an auto-generated section, how would customizing
the hierarchy be supported?

Customizing the auto-generated items would not be possible at all. I think I have never in my life customized the entries in the applications/start menu in Linux or Windows beyond adding items. And I have only done that in BeOS/Haiku because the system didn't do it for me.

CU, Ingo