[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:10:23 -0400

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to see the package manager simply provide a symlink so that
> the application appears in Deskbar's Applications menu. We don't need
> to provide an option to turn that off for purists IMHO. The user can
> then manipulate the symlink in Tracker to organize the applications
> beyond that. I'm not sure what else you're thinking but providing the
> package manager with the ability to provide directories like
> Utilities, Accessories, Games, etc. is not a good idea IMHO, just
> provide a symlink to the application in a flat list.

Just to clarify, I don't mean that that a package couldn't install a
directory with multiple items in it like an office suite with several
apps inside, that would be fine. I just mean that we shouldn't attempt
to provide pre-built category directories for applications to go in
because that never works. There is too much ambiguity.