[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 02:53:57 -0500

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:50:40 -0400
David Rawson Couzelis <drcouzelis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The "Applications" menu in the Deskbar menu could represent either:
>
> * the user's personal list of applications
>
>    or
>
> * every application that is installed
>
> Which does it represent?
>
> There already is a list of every application installed: in
> "/boot/common/apps" (or "/boot/system/apps")

It was mentioned that someone "had 64 applications, how would that look?"

Do people really commonly access 64 applications on a given day?

As David said above, is the applications menu supposed to contain every
application ever installed, or is it supposed to contain the ones you
actually use?

We also have to think about removing application icons when the application
is uninstalled.  Having applications scattered through a large number of
menu folders means the chance that icons won't be cleaned up on
uninstallation is quite strong. (meaning non-working symlinks)

If you want to have an easy solution.  Have one check box:
"Add a shortcut into the applications menu?"

My personal vote is keeping the plain applications menu for now as-is.

Plus.. who is going to design a bunch HVIF category icons?

 -- Alex