[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:28:56 +0100

On 02/26/2012 01:01 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I think you misunderstood the purpose of the discussion. This wasn't to make
any decision, but rather to explore the idea a bit. It's rather early
anyway, as we aren't even close to R1 yet. Since no one came up with a
show-stopper argument, I think it's worth investigating the idea further. A
GSoC project sounds to me like a good approach.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to explore the idea further; having a first class Qt port would definitely be nice, too; it should just stay unharmed IMO to be able to just let Qt apps run on Haiku without a change.

However, just to throw one more argument into the pool: just because the Interface Kit needs a rewrite/redesign, it seems a bit out of proportion to throw it all away. It also feels a bit mood to have invested so much time and energy on the current API. I'm a fan of incremental improvements, anyway, and this would be possible with a less "violent" update approach; as far as applications go, BView/BStringView/etc. would all stay there, and would probably only need minimal adaptions.

Bye,
   Axel.