[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:15:30 -0500

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Simon Taylor
<simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is true, the UI essentially uses the same rendering engine (or at
> least, it did at one point) so as soon as the engine worked a full browser
> UI should not be far behind. It might be worth trying with a GSoC project,
> and we might get lucky with the student.

Never count on GSoC to produce anything. Plus this is probably way too
complicated for a GSoC project anyhow.

> The interface used to be horrid for
> embedding into a native browser application (which is why Apple went with
> WebKit for Safari), but even "standard" Firefox would be a nice alternative
> to have.

If someone is motivated to work on a new Firefox port feel free, but I
for one don't think trying to learn a new code base is a good use of
my time. I'm pretty sure the previous Bezilla maintainers like TQH got
pretty burned out on it.

--
Regards,
Ryan