[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:57:39 +0000

Alex Wilson wrote:

I have to say that I quite like this idea. I haven't looked too much
into Qt, but they have some really neat technologies that we could
benefit from. I think that with this approach we could stay true to
the vision of Haiku as a unified platform, while decreasing the
development burden, letting us focus on developing the features that
make Haiku unique and awesome! Qt isn't the only path, but as I see
it, it's one that could greatly accelerate Haiku's development, while
benefiting end users and developers alike, which is certainly a
worthwhile goal.

--Alex

QT market share is growing, its always good to be a on a upward trajectory, had be been able to leverage a growing cross platform API that offered ease of portability, we might be singing the song about MS that we sing about BE today.

Whatever could happen, I think destagnating the process at the point and getting dev's excited and interested again, is a step in the right direction. Plus theres already been some good forward progress on a QT port, so some work has been done.

The only other appealing framework would be mono, but its not perfect, and its really only focused on C# afaik, but there is lots of C# code out there in the wilds of the world.

Sean

PNG image