[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:17:34 +0100

On 2012-02-22 at 06:43:59 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Anyhow, I'm not trying to be Mr Negative, but the WebKit and Web+
> project should be looked at realistically: it will take a lot of time
> to just get it decent, and years to catch up with other browsers, if
> ever.

This does indeed sound rather negative. It actually makes me wonder, if it
wouldn't be a good idea to invest time in a good Firefox port (maybe even as
a GSoC project). I certainly understand the reasons why to develop a WebKit
based browser. OTOH the current situation is that we have a browser which
certainly shows promises, but is by far not complete, is based on a WebKit
version which the current development gets more and more ahead of, and whose
main contributors don't seem to have enough time to invest in the foreseeable
future to catch up.

BeZilla was with us for a long time and, while not always up to date, was at
least moving along. I don't know, maybe that was only due to continuous hard
work of the BeZilla team, but it does at least seem to me that Mozilla simply
also has a stronger platform abstraction, resulting in changes to the actual
browser less likely to break a platform port (bought with less nativeness).

But even if (re-)porting Firefox is not considerably less work than catching
up with WebKit, it would at least bring us a complete browser.

CU, Ingo