[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:02:03 -0500

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> It may be worth checking this out in relation with enabling JIT compilation
> in JavaScriptCore. To turn it on is a simple define in the platform header
> (forgot the name maybe Platform.h ... it's the one that everything
> includes).

Yeah it is Platform.h.

> JavaScriptCore employs some really weird trickery that breaks if
> alignment doesn't meet certain asumptions.

I do recall our posix_memalign being broken (and fixed) when I first
did the WebKit port, so JSC does seem to make use of that function. So
this may or may not be an issue now, but it is worth investigating.

> But in any case, the improved
> POSIX signal stuff may also suddenly make the JIT compilation stuff work in
> JavaScriptCore. Unfortunately, I have no time to explore this.

I'm really, really hoping to be able to allocate some Haiku
development time soon, and intend to get back on the WebKit port and
Web+, which are in pretty desperate need of some attention I think. It
is just quite overwhelming and "lower hanging fruit" are always more
tempting when brief "Haiku time" is available...

But I know I'm not alone in this lately, unfortunately. And I don't
even have kids (yet.)

--
Regards,
Ryan