[haiku-development] Re: Questions from Haiku novice

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:14:00 +0200

On 2010-04-18 at 18:19:17 [+0200], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:14:41 +0200, Markku Hyppönen
> <make.hypponen@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
>
> > I quess I have to do this upgrade several time in a future. Though, I'm
> > running Haiku in a laptop which can't boot from usb drive. Should I burn
> > cd every time I want to upgrade or is there any other way to do this?
> >
> > I found this from haiku web site:
> >
> > # under BeOS to partition X on the master on the first channel
> > dd if=/path/to/image of=/dev/disk/ide/ata/0/master/X
> >
> > Can I use this method to upgrade alpha1 to latest nightly build?
> >
> > Markku
>
> It is also possible to build haiku directly to a partition using "jam -q
> install-haiku", if you set the proper settings in your userbuildconfig
> (don't have them at thand here, sorry). This seems a bit broken at the
> moment with libstdc++ and libsupc++ not getting copied to the new image,
> but I expect this to be solved soon.

While some people do that, it is not recommended to update Haiku in-place
ATM. Personally I recommend having 1. a partition with a system from which
you build Haiku (Linux, FreeBSD, or even Haiku). 2. a small partition for
Haiku itself, 3. an arbitrarily large partition for the data you work with
under Haiku. This way you can cleanly update your Haiku partition (2.) at
any time without needing to worry about your data. If you copy your
settings files to the data partition you can specify in your
UserBuildConfig to copy them when building a new Haiku version (the MIME
database is always overwritten, though).

CU, Ingo