[haiku-development] Re: Name the package manager "Software Valet"

  • From: Fredrik Andersson <fredrikandersson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:43:25 +0200

My point is that it's completely irrelevant if "valet" as a word would be
equalent to "curved bottle" in another language.
If the OS is using english locale one would have to accept that the english
meaning of the word applies.

"Valet" translated into swedish (That's my native language) means "butler"
basically. As stated in another mail I think it's farfetched.

Typically you name a product either after it's application or give it a name
that is just that, a name; nothing to be translated in various locales.

It generally makes support etc easier,
Instead having different regions calling the same applications different names.
It's all been done before, it's just a matter of looking at operating system
history.

Microsoft and Apple doesn't even bother translating "Windows Store" contra
"AppStore", that's simply the application name not an functional description of
the application.

Apple did translate every application in the base system, I remember it was a
god damn issue to try aid someone who used the German version, Swedish version
or English version.