[haiku-development] Re: Name the package manager "Software Valet"

  • From: Dee Sharpe <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 06:53:57 -0500

Thanks. I actually liked the name Software Valet from the old days, but I won't
vote one way or the other, because both sides have very valid points. I'd just
like for everyone to understand potential reasons that the name was picked.
Coupled along with my restaurant analogy is the fact that my description more
aptly describes a French restaurant. Valet is a French word that loosely
translates as "servant". There's quite a few BeOS icons that display a server's
(or servant's) hand carrying an item that identifies with the program
represented by the icon. Additionally, Jean-Louis Gassée is French and I
wouldn't be surprised if the original creators of Software Valet we also. So
the choice of names & terms, associated with BeOS, shouldn't be surprising.

Apollo Demetrious Sharpe