[haiku-development] Re: Name the package manager "Software Valet"

  • From: Dario Casalinuovo <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 14:51:32 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Dee Sharpe <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The name Software Valet isn't supposed to relate to or describe packages.
> The purpose is to describe the actual app that brings you the packages. As
> I've already stated, it's not an English word, so it had nothing to do with
> the translation. Us English speakers had to learn what the word means,
> also, so I see no reason why it should be difficult for anyone who speaks
> any other language.

Well i think re-reading the thread you can find various examples about how
it's not really a clear naming for people speaking different languages. And
i would also extend a bit on this restaurant metaphore, servers is not a
word used for the first time by the BeOS creators, and no one (at least
italians, i can say) will naturally think on such restaurants metaphore.
Also i can't see where the managers word is used in BeOS.

I'm not saying that it should be difficult to learn or speak that word,
this word sounds in english as in italian, since it's a Latin derived word,
and Italian just sounds as Latin, i'm saying that i don't see a reason to
use a non descriptive word, or a word which will not be cool for different
languages.

Just as said in the previous mail i like how Haiku Depot sounds, and it
looks like there's a general consensus on this name : )