[haiku-development] Re: Name the package manager "Software Valet"

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:46:13 -0500

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 16:47 -0400, John Scipione wrote:
> I was thinking it might be neat to name the graphical package manager
> for Haiku "Software Valet" harking back to the old application on
> BeOS.
>
> I've done a bit of research on the legal status of the trademark and
> it doesn't appear as if Be ever registered a trademark for "Software
> Valet" either in the US or in Europe, and it doesn't appear that
> anybody else has since either, so, we're in the clear to use the name
> if we want to.

Linksys (Cisco) has a trademark on "Valet" on their routers. It's pretty
new branding so they could bawk in theory... Not sure if it would cause
confusion in the marketplace... but who knows.

http://www.linksys.com/en-us/wireless/valet

How about a synonym like "Software Butler" or "Package Attendant"?

On a shenanigans note... H.S.E.P.
"Haiku software enrichment program"

 -- Alex