[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: X512 <danger_mail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 18:18:26 +0900

(2014/05/28 6:20), Stephan Aßmus wrote:
What are the plans with regards to show-casing PM with this release? Aren't there multiple issues left that we wanted addressed when we last discussed the release back in 2013? One of them was .pkg breakage, which I worked on a bit, but there are open tickets for specific packages.
About pkg preakage: I think that it is possible to mount SoftwareValet package like Haiku package solving compatability issues. If SoftwareValet package format is not suitable for runtime reading or writing new file system driver is too hard, SoftwareValet package can be just converted to Haiku package.

To solve path compatability issues file system virtualisation can be also used. This means that for some applications (it can be detected by ABI version) will be provided virtual files and directories that are impossible to distinguish from real ones. It can be provided by by special wrapper file system drivers.