[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 09:12:49 +0200

Am 28.05.2014 07:11, schrieb John Scipione:
On Tuesday, May 27, 2014, Augustin Cavalier <ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    On 5/27/2014 5:20 PM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
        What are the plans with regards to show-casing PM with this
        release? Aren't there multiple issues left that we wanted
        addressed when we last discussed the release back in 2013? One
        of them was .pkg breakage, which I worked on a bit, but there
        are open tickets for specific packages.

    This is a release blocker for me. If we aren't BeOS-compatible,
    there's no sense releasing at all, since that was the goal of Haiku R1.

That only makes it a blocker for R1, not for Alpha5 which is expected to
be buggy and incomplete.

But what is the point of the release then? It can't be about getting more testing, because we already have tons of bugs in Trac that we can fix first. I thought the point is to give a sign of live, and to show-case the progress. Releasing is like saying "we got it to a point that we feel worth showing". So I think PM and HaikuDepot should not disappoint. And compatibility with exitsing software is also a factor. That being said, I do think that PackageInstaller works better now than it ever did... but there are still some tickets for it.

Best regards,
-Stephan