[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 release timeline

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:54:35 -0500

On , Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Am 27.05.2014 17:04, schrieb Alexander von Gluck IV:
We're pushing for a faster Alpha release this time around. Things feel
pretty stable at the moment.

Hm, not sure I fully agree.

What are the plans with regards to show-casing PM with this release?
Aren't there multiple issues left that we wanted addressed when we
last discussed the release back in 2013? One of them was .pkg
breakage, which I worked on a bit, but there are open tickets for
specific packages.

.pkg breakage is definitely an issue... however I really don't think
it is a blocker as PM is working well and there are workarounds
(extracting from the .pkg and converting it to a .zip or .hpkg)

I know that HaikuDepot is not stable since it is communicating with
the web-app. It is crasing in the network services stuff. These
crashes are very similar to the ones I frequently see in WebPositive.
In HaikuDepot, contacting the server can simply be commented out for
the release, but wouldn't it be nice to have WebPositive work more
stable than it currently does?

Hm, I haven't seen this at all on the x86 images. Is there a bug
open for it?

What about system upgrades? I know Ingo worked on this recently, is
this complete enough already? Do we have a plan of setting up this
alpha release such that it can actually be upgraded via PM once we
publish the next release? I know some of this may be configurable by
the user (adding repositories), but it would be nice to have a default
repo configured which we'll actually use as a channel for the next
official release.

This stuff is easy :-)

Updates work now as the system waits until post-reboot to apply haiku*
updates.

The current plan is to have a "R1A5" repo with the core os just like
how we have one for "current"

http://www.haiku-files.org/haiku/master/repo/x86_gcc2/r1a5/

That way the core OS updates are "Fixed at R1A5" while package updates
are rolling. We can release r1a5 fixes/updates in the r1a5 repo.

Users could always manually change r1a5 to current to upgrade their
R1A5 system to the latest nightly image from the "stable" R1A5 release.

This makes the Alphas (and Betas) more valuable as they can always be
upgraded.

 -- Alex