[gps-talkusers] Re: using dual GPS is the ideal way to go

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:59:43 -0400

Doubtless there will always be a need for specialized devices. There is also
always a cost-benefit point which will be different for each individual. For a
time when I was having to fudge software to manage some functions on-the-job I
would have loved refreshable braille but the cost was prohibitive particularly
as I was not a programmer by function but more by necessity to better and more
efficiently perform my paid activities. If I hadn't been sending kids to
university and paying for some of my own continuing education at the time I
might well have purchased something. I did buy a couple of Perkins Braillers
which got daily use and still do. I type a lot faster than ever I write braille
though and I used to use a notebook all the time on courses for note taking or
report writing and even taking examinations.

Presumably I would really need a braille notetaker for writing braille music if
that was my need and probably many others do. I wouldn't say they are not
without real value to many blind people. My daughter, who is a Visual
Impairment Educator tells me that their school board uses notetakers
particularly in the early grades within her school board both as a means of
creating electronic documents and encouraging braille literacy. Quite probably
they will be accommodated when/if they move on into higher education, they have
special accessibility personnel there to assist.

Quite possibly I am just too old. It has always been expected that I would
adapt to the environments in which I worked and studied so I probably have a
strong bias toward standardized devices.

I expect that there will be a few blindness specific GPS options available soon
for smart phones. With the Symbian operating system in decline and poor
accessibility on the various Windows platforms companies like Code Factory and
others will be looking for products with which to earn income. It might be
something other than IOS at first because that is easier and cheaper to
develop. I expect too that Seeing Eye will mature rapidly into a very
serviceable product for similar market reasons.

Dale Leavens.