[gps-talkusers] Re: using dual GPS is the ideal way to go

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:40:38 -0400

Thing is, about the only thing many of us would ever use a notetaker for would be running GPS. At work one needs things like Outlook calendars, Word documents, various spreadsheeting and perhaps other messaging applications and often other networked applications, all things easily and directly accessed with a mainstream computer system. Admittedly notetakers can be made to substitute some of the time.

Actually I rather like Loadstone GPS except all the fiddling about to get maps out of the Ether and onto the phone and I didn't mind WayFinder before that except for the on-line maps. Using Pay-As-You-Go with Rogers here in Canada it cost me 2 bucks just to calculate the trip to work and all I really wanted was notification of one intersection in the winter which is difficult to find in the snow because the sidewalks along there aren't cleared and one needs to skirt the edge of the street between the traffic and parked cars. Being notified when within a few yards of the intersection hugely facilitates locating it.

Braille, in the winter really isn't much of an option, manipulating the buttons of a cell phone isn't much better, I'm not sure that a touch screen would be all that good either. The little Nokia phones will, with a bit of effort fit into a mitten at minus 20C or lower but hearing the output gets a little difficult at times.

Perhaps an iPhone in a deep pocket with Bluetooth ...

Anyway, I suspect loads of people, like me, don't have use for a notetaker beyond as a platform for GPS. Pity.

Dale leavens.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael May" <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>