[gmpi] Re: Topic 8: Parameters

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:02:24 -0400

I have tried:

1. Actual blobs.
2. XML-like tagged text.
3. True XML.
4. Numbered parameters.
5. Scripting - the state is a script that you run.

Believe me, scripting is best, and blobs are next best. Scripts, obviously,
are hand-editable. If Python is too much to swallow, Lua probably is not and
there is a good C++ template library for automagically script-enabling C++
classes. Note that Lua was designed specifically for the purpose of
configuring C and C++ code. The Lua runtime is about a 200 kilobyte library.
You can swap Lua interpreters back and forth between DLLs and you can have
more than one of them in a process.

If the script doesn't work, you usually get an intelligible error message
out of the scripting runtime, which gives a stranger a fighting chance to
fix the script.

That leads - off the topic, I suppose - to a proposal, make Lua scripting a
required part of the host and an option for plugins.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
Silence, a language for programming music and sound
Available at http://www.csounds.com