[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:09:04 -0700

Here is another flavor of 4:

5. Sequencer/DAW type B - Same as 3, but live in is always enabled and audio out is only enabled during play & record.

And another:

6. Live processor - Audio and MIDI in and out always enabled. No timeline or automation.

Chris Grigg wrote:

Do we need to articulate/characterize/collect all the various approaches that a host might take with regard to when the plug-ins graph is running vs. when it's stopped, and when audio and control & GUI input is needed? As use cases to test the parameter setting & event queuing ideas against?

Here are four cases, probably there are others. I list when there is live input, whether there is parameter automation during play & record, and when an audio out stream is produced; maybe other aspects are important too?

-- Chris G.

Plug-in Graph Operating Modes:

1. Offline Processor - No live input / optional automation during processing / no audio out stream.

2. Media Player - No live input / no automation during playback (well, optional, I guess) / audio out stream.

3. Sequencer/DAW type A - Live input (audio & MIDI & GUI) / automation during play & record / audio out stream.

4. Sequencer/DAW type B - Same as 3, but live in is only enabled during record and audio out is only enabled during play & record.

[Additions?]

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems