[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:59:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> There are all kinds of complexities. How does the host represent it
> visually? What happens when there are two plugins that both want to
> control the tempo?

In a freeform network paradigm, it all depends on how things are "wired".
In a host following a more classic arrange/mixer paradigm, well, that
decision is with the app designer, but it seems to me that the host should
enumerate loaded plugs for "tempo control sources" or whatever, advertise
them to the user in some way, and allow the user to choose one of them. It
doesn't make sense to have multiple sync masters in the classic
arrange/mixer paradigm host, but nevertheless we should not limit GMPI
based solely on the requirements of that paradigm.

Regards,
        Angus.