[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:25:11 +0100 (CET)

> 1.  Are plugins run in-process or out-of-process?

I've been hearing this issue mentioned a number of times, and I guess it's
about time I asked:  what does this mean?  Are you using the word
"process" in the general computer sense, i.e. the processes that run on my
computer, like the ones that get listed when I run the command ps?  In
which case, is the question about whether the plugin should have its own
process independent of the host app or if it should run within the host
app's process(es)?  Or does the word "process" in this context have
something to do with audio/music processing?

> 3.  Is the host a plugin too?

Is this question posing that as a requirement or as an optional
possibility?

> 5.  Does the host interface provide transport control, UI updates, track
> information?

I propose:  yes

Marc