[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:49:12 -0700

Im a little unclear on what you are saying. First you say that they should be in-process (i.e. in one process) then that we should try to make them out of process so that multiple processes can access them.
I think that they have to be in-process given the existing OS's. And adding network communication to the GMPI requirements for hosting is scary.

Silver Blade wrote:

1. Are plugins run in-process or out-of-process?

In-process, but they are allowed to be a proxy for an out-of-process or
network implementation.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see out-of-process plugins. But we don't live
in an ideal world, so I'd say all plugins should be in-process.

For networking, GMPI should provide means of communication over the network.
While this, in a sense, out-of-process, the only out-of-process thing about
it is that we're using the platform's networking functions, and the plugin
is on a different computer.

I mentioned a while ago on the vst-plugins list an idea I had about creating
a shared library that manages plugins and audio I/O for the entire system.
Take WinSock, or the WinMM/mmsystem APIs of Windows as an example (or even
the basic APIs for graphics/window management)... These must share data with
each other, otherwise how would EnumWindows() work?

If we could implement a plugin architecture which could be shared among
several processes at the same time, that would be brilliant - you'd be able
to use the same devices for several applications at the same time, as long
as they used GMPI. Plugins, too, could be used this way - and of course user
interfaces.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems