[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:54:53 +0000

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:47:34 +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> Well, one thing I have been waiting to see is a possibility to send tempo to
> the host. For example: I want to make a tempo tracker plugin that extracts
> the tempo from an audio stream and have that being used as the "master
> tempo" to which all other things are time-sync'd in a musical sense (good
> for live performances and music that calls for easy tempo fluctuations).
> Maybe this could be an application of this generic approach: tempo is just a
> "control signal" send from the plugin to the host (or just the plugins you
> select if you're doing multi-tempo/poly-rhythmic "experimental" music).

That is more of a modular synthesis approach. I dont think you will get
many general hosts to support it, as it adds complexity from the users
p.o.v.

It is ofcourse easy in a modular system, your plugin just acts as a clock
generator.

There are many modular aynths for Linux which use plugins (LADSPA) as
thier main module format, so as long as we dont rule it out in the plugin
API it should not be a problem.