[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: "Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force]" <laurent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:54:25 +0100

1. Are plugins run in-process or out-of-process?

In-process because of the constraints and performance issues evocated previously, and because it keeps things simple. But there is no reason to prevent the plug-ins to act like proxies for out-of-process programs.

2. What kinds of special needs are there in events to/from a plugin?

I think these questions will be answered in the upcoming topics regarding specific functionalities.

3. Is the host a plugin too?

I don't think it's a good idea for the host to be a plug-in technically, at the same level. I can imagine roughly how it would be possible, but it seems a bit far-fetched. In my point of view, host offers what a plug-in cannot do by itself, providing the operating structure, connecting the nodes, etc. The host services are in a level different from the plug-in network.

However one notes that plug-ins acting like hosts for a
sub-network of plug-ins have currently a use and many
reasons to exist. Especially wrappers for other standards,
in both directions. This aspect must not be neglegted.

4.  Can the host be a chain of simpler plugins (sequencer, timeline,
automation)?

I understand this point as: some functions which are traditionally reserved to hosts may fall into the plug-in abilities. This is a good idea. We see more and more plug- ins with built-in micro-sequencers. Why not extending this concept to make pure sequencer plug-ins ? Interfaces like VST are pretty close to allow it without any change.

So yes I'm in favor of such an option, given most timing
and sequencing information can be emitted in form of
events. In the designing stage, we'll have consider what
kind of information could be passed as "events", to and
from the plug-in, and what will remain as pure "operating"
information.

5. Does the host interface provide transport control, UI updates, track
information?

Related to 4., and to next topics for UI. However I'm not sure to understand what is a track (of course I know what it is but the word is fuzzy and can embrace anything).

-- Laurent

Laurent de Soras                  |               Ohm Force
DSP developer & Software designer |  Digital Audio Software
mailto:laurent@xxxxxxxxxxxx       | http://www.ohmforce.com