[gmpi] Re: Topic 4: Host Interface

  • From: "chris" <kjbeak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:04:12 -0000

On the topic of Rewire is there any reason GMPI cant define a seperate API
for inter application comunication? At least for syncronization and media
streams. It seems the main reason for Rewire and the need for 'out of
process' is for people to use two hosts at the same time, and i dont see
that the needs of that realy corelate with the needs of a plugin so to have
them both facilitated through the same interface seems stupid. It would make
more sense for the coexistant hosts to negotiate the number and direction of
streams between them via a seprate interface rather that having to design
the plugin interface to facilitate it.

Posibly almost the same functionality could be achived if hosts could host
other hosts? And mabey it would be cleaner this way?

At least GMPI should do whatever is practical to help 'out of process'
comunication. Although plugins should be in process simply for performance
reasons.

chris