[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: Frederic Vanmol <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:18:01 +0100

Talking to hardware is a separate problem. I feel that's for the host to =
do,=20
not the plugin. But I realise it should be possible for a plugin to pass =
midi=20
messages to hardware or to other software that supports it.

However, I'd rather not have a plugin be told to start a voice/sound/... =
by a=20
midi note on message or to have to parse a midi pitch message to be able =
to=20
function correctly. In my opinion, midi should be completely optional for=
 a=20
plugin.

Frederic

--- On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15:15, you wrote: ---
> > I agree. No midi communication between host and plugin unless there's
>
> really
>
> > no other way.
>
> I don't think it's prudent to toss aside MIDI as a communication mechan=
ism.

> First, defining an alternative is a huge exercise onto itself.  It's
> tantamount to saying that GMPI =3D MIDI 2 + other stuff.  That's way to=
> broad a scope, IMO.
>
> Furthermore, think about interop with hardware gear.  A host app or eve=
n a
> plugin may want to listen to data from external gear or send data to it=
=2E
> The user of a sequencer may want to seamlessly swap hardware synths wit=
> software synths.
>
> Finally, MIDI is thing that can help the hardware world migrate to
> software. I'm sure commercial hardware synth companies have an investme=
nt
> in embedded DSP and synthesis code.  This code is no doubt MIDI based. =
 By