[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now online

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:18:08 +0100 (CET)

> > (I'm strongly opposed to using wrapped MIDI messages for several=20
> > reasons. Ask if you want the full list. ;-)
>
> What exactly do you mean with wrapped MIDI messages? passing
> struct { unsigned char[3] }?

Another paradigm for representation that is not based directly on the
obtuse, bit-stingy data that flows between MIDI cables.  ;)  In other
words, let it be the host's (or maybe even internally part of the API's)
responsibility to parse MIDI events, if they are supported, and convert
them into a more intelligible format for the plugins.  This (a) makes
things easier for plugs and makes it so that there isn't as much redundant
MIDI parsing code written and (b) allows the interfaces musical
representation system to exceed the limitations of MIDI, while still being
able to work with MIDI data.

Marc