[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:39:36 -0800 (PST)

> Regarding doubles vs floats vs ints for controls, think like an experimental
> composer. Of course you will need absolutely all the precision you can get
> for some crazy reason. The protocol should NOT limit the imagination of the
> composer for ANY avoidable reason!

We have to weigh the benefits of double precision vs the double size.  Is
there any reason to define the basic sample data type to double?  It doubles
all our memory bandwidth needs.  I'd say this is something that is not good.

Should we force all float controls to be double-precision?  maybe.  Does it
really buy us anything?

Tim