[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson <kkm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:03:42 -0800

Some time ago, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote...

I don't think it's prudent to toss aside MIDI as a communication mechanism.

Let me disagree. MIDI is lower in its level than an application-level software API.

MIDI specifies communication from the physical (current loop 20 mA) to
the transport level, but no higher.  Let me throw in an analogy with
the protocol used to deliver this very message, SMTP.  SMTP works on top
of a connection-oriented transport protocol (usually TCP), and defines
dialogue between mail delivery system and sender of a message, where
the sender introduces itself to the mail server and transmits one or
more specially formatted messages.

 >HELLO dolly
 <OK
 >MAIL TO: john@xxxxxxx

etc.

On the other hand, software developers rarely if at all need to deal with
inner workings of the protocol when sending e-mails.  One uses an
application-level protocol to send e-mail, such as MAPI or CDO on Windows
systems:

Set newmsg = CreateObject ("CDO.NewMail")
newmsg.To = "john@xxxxxxx"
newmsg.Subject = "Make money fast!"
newmsg.Attachments.Add ....
newmsg.Send

Obviously, when defining a software protocol, we would want to deal with
software interfaces, like the interface of the "CDO.NewMail" object, and
not the details of wire communication, which most likely does not happen
anyway.

Another question is whether we want to constrain the protocol to make it
100% MIDI-compatible.  Personally, I do not think that they would make
any sense in the context of a software protocol.  Such limitations as
16 channels per port, 128 programs per bank, a mere handful of controllers
acting per channel, and such "extensions" as SysEx and NRPN should go
away, in my opinion.  One should be able to control a Gimpy synth
with MIDI, but Gimpy should not be limited in such a way as to allow full
control of any object with MIDI.

-kkm