[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:31:44 +0000

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:15:28 -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > I agree. No midi communication between host and plugin unless there's
> really
> > no other way.
>
> I don't think it's prudent to toss aside MIDI as a communication mechanism.
>
> First, defining an alternative is a huge exercise onto itself.  It's
> tantamount to saying that GMPI = MIDI 2 + other stuff.  That's way too broad
> a scope, IMO.

My feeling is that creating something with the same capablilities as MIDI
(and that can be mapped to and from it) is realtivly simple. Much of the
complexity of MIDI comes from low level representation issues, not from
inherant complexity of the problem.

There are also a number of limitations of MIDI (eg. note addressing,
controler resolution/range) that some of us would like to be rid of, its
not easy to see how that could be achieved without replacing MIDI to some
extent.

- Steve