[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:59:34 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 14.51, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
[...]
> ..but it is the intention for the plugin to support audio as well
> as MIDI (and possibly other control data and parameters)?

That's the idea, AFAIK.

This brings up an interesting question: Does "support control I/O"=20
imply that the actual MIDI protocol should be used in the API?

Since the MMA is in on this, one might think it would imply that, but=20
even so, MIDI is a *wire* protocol. I think having (most of) the MIDI=20
*feature set* in a new API would be cleaner, more effective and=20
easier to support for plugins and hosts alike.

(I'm strongly opposed to using wrapped MIDI messages for several=20
reasons. Ask if you want the full list. ;-)

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.