[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now onl ine

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:15:28 -0500

> I agree. No midi communication between host and plugin unless there's
really
> no other way.

I don't think it's prudent to toss aside MIDI as a communication mechanism.

First, defining an alternative is a huge exercise onto itself.  It's
tantamount to saying that GMPI = MIDI 2 + other stuff.  That's way too broad
a scope, IMO.

Furthermore, think about interop with hardware gear.  A host app or even a
plugin may want to listen to data from external gear or send data to it.
The user of a sequencer may want to seamlessly swap hardware synths with
software synths.

Finally, MIDI is thing that can help the hardware world migrate to software.
I'm sure commercial hardware synth companies have an investment in embedded
DSP and synthesis code.  This code is no doubt MIDI based.  By having a
software based solution support MIDI, the hardware guys can move over a bit
easier.