[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.1

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:56:51 -0600

Chris Grigg wrote:

>> So, unless I'm forgetting something, it seems like I'm (back) on the

a) side of the fence... Mono buffers only.

So you support (c), too.<g>  Simply write all your plugins using mono
buffers only.  I understand (c) as a way to let someone who wants to do
interleave, even if 99% of the world chooses not to.

not quite. it forces all host apps to support interleave even if they
don't want to, because some plugins may demand it. thats a case of the
tail wagging the dog if ever i saw one ... host buffer management is
generally an order of magnitude more complex than what happens in a
plugin.

Doesn't it work to say the plug -must- always support mono buffers, and -may- at its own option support interleave? Then a host that only does mono has no problem.

I would be OK with this. My concern was the one stated above, that host would have to do a lot of interleaving to support some plugins. But your suggest is just basically option (d).

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems